0

New Student Chronicles, Ch. 3: Amena Mansoor

I’ts time to check in again with Amena who has been documenting her first semester here at USF for us on the blog! Here is Amena’s last “Student Chronicles” entry, her Chapter 3:

Amena, smiling because she successfully finished her first semester at USF!

“I am excited to have completed my first semester at USF! During spring semester, I familiarized myself with the campus and the city. Now, I am no longer restricted to studying in the library. My two new favorite spots to study off campus are the Ocean Beach and the Golden Gate Park. I changed my Philosophy minor to a major, so now I will be double-majoring, adding another year to my stay at USF.

Fave spot #1... Ocean Beach

Fave spot #2: Golden Gate Park

USF offers a lot of entertainment and education outside of its classrooms. During spring, I attended the Human Rights Film Festival, and I watched two movies. Also, I attended the lecture during Islam Awareness Week, which led to my topic for my final paper for Rhetoric and the Public Sphere.

The only thing I would like to do differently next semester is to be on campus more, so I can be more involved. My participation on campus was restricted due to my schedule as I had classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays. For Fall, I have spread my schedule, so I will be on campus Monday through Friday, except Tuesdays.

As for the summer, I am going summer school for the first six weeks. Currently, I am taking History of the United States, and for the second session, I will be taking Family Communication. In July, I am planning on visiting Bangladesh for about a month. I am looking forward to seeing my family, whom I have not seen since I was six years old and experiencing life in the Eastern Culture.

Amena, showing her friend Olivia around USF

After completing my first semester, I am pleased with the decision I made of attending USF. I still cannot believe my ideal school was in my backyard, and I was searching for it all over the country. To me education is more than just getting a diploma, so I can earn a high salary. It is about gaining knowledge and developing my character, so I wanted to attend a school that challenged me. In addition, I was seeking a reputable school that I would be proud of. I feel pride and a sense of achievement when I tell people I am a student at USF.

I look forward to the next two years of my life at USF!”

Thanks, Amena, for chronicling your first semester here! I am so glad that your first semester at USF was a good one! We are so happy to have you in our major!