2

Alumni Spotlight #18: Christina Kang, '10

Today’s “Alumni Spotlight” shines onto 2010 Communication Studies graduate Christina Kang. Christina is a Media Relations Associate for the company “Raging Artists,” a creative marketing firm in Los Angeles (http://ragingartists.com/). Let’s catch up with her!

'10 graduate Christina Kang

Christina handles media relations and PR for Raging Aritsts, and also does PR for Raging Artists clients, mostly production and post production companies. Her clients include Bandito Brothers and Union Editorial (the editing company that was responsible for the Volkswagen Darth Vader commercial… what a great commercial!). She maintains relationships with trades, journalists, and other media outlets in order to get maximum exposure for their clients and their works.

I asked Christina to tell us about her job and what she enjoys about it. “Our office is dog-friendly so I bring my dog into the office sometimes! Also we try to do fun stuff out of the office. We had an ‘assignment’ to go see Transformers. But we made something productive out of it! We reviewed it and made a cool video and posted it on YouTube. The video was made by Raging Artists and it’s just for Raging Artists. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivTgVPaLnNk)   We also have ice cream in our freezer, so during a hot summer or even a winter day we are all free to go for some ice cream!”

A dog-friendly office means that Piper can go to work with Christina!

Christina recently went on a business trip… to Cannes! Yes, you read that right. The South of France site of the famous movie festival! “Since we have a lot of clients in advertising, my boss and I went to Cannes, France for the Cannes Lions International Advertising Festival. This was great because I have only been working with the company since January and six months later, I’m in Cannes! It’s not a bad place to go for ‘work!'” I’ll say!

Christina in the brown dress on the steps of the Palais

I also asked Christina if and how her Communication Studies degree helps her in her current position: “My COMS degree and my PR minor helped me a lot! I write and edit press releases for most of my day. I also do a lot of face-to-face meetings and I actually use my nonverbal comm knowledge a lot!”

What advice does Christina have? “Keep interning, the more experience the better. And try to go out of the box. When I first joined I didn’t know anything about production and post production. My bosses helped me out and I learned quickly on my feet!”

Thanks, Christina! Your job sounds great! Congratulations!

USF COMS alums, be cool like Christina and contact me at edoohan@usfca.edu to share your update.

2 Comments

1. Hey Christina – Congrats! Sounds like you got a great job!! And Piper is so cute! We might have to see what we can do about implementing the Ice Cream in the freezer at work thing… hmm… first, we need some freezers…