0

Minor Matters: Jana DeGuzman and the French Studies Minor

By Caitlyn Shen, Junior Communication Studies Major

USF Senior Talks About Her French Minor’s Influence on Her Life and Her Summer in France

As I question what my Chinese minor has to offer me and where I should study abroad next semester, the perfect opportunity came up. I specifically chose to interview Jana DeGuzman because we are in the same boat. Both of us are upperclassmen communication studies majors with a language minor. DeGuzman is pursuing a French minor while I am pursing a Chinese minor. Speaking to her about her experience has helped me choose my future.

Q: “What made you pick the communication studies major and French minor?”

A: “I came into USF as a communication studies major. I have always loved writing, and I think I have strong verbal communication. I didn’t come into USF with a French minor, though. I came in looking to pursue a performing arts minor, but I didn’t like the program here. I had to fulfill two semesters of a language, and I chose French. I wasn’t like most people where they have a French background or took it in high school. I literally just picked it up my sophomore year. My professor actually had to convince me to switch to a French minor, but I’m so glad I switched because I love it.”

Q: “Do you think French and communication studies complement each other?”

A: “They totally do. You know they both have to do with language and culture. Communication studies helped me understand more about different cultures, and it helped me adjust to different perspectives through culture. “Communication and Culture” really helped.”

Q: “What is the hardest aspect about French?”

A: “The whole language in general is just complex, especially since I started sophomore year without any other exposure to French. The courses are pretty challenging, especially this literature class I’m currently in. We read 17th and 18th century literature, and there’s a bunch of vocabulary I have never learned before. All of these old words I really have no clue what they are.”

Q: “Would you recommend pursuing the French minor? Do you have any advice for anyone interested in French?”

A: “I totally would! I love it so much. I don’t really have any advice. Maybe just don’t overcrowd yourself. Try to balance everything out. Right now I’m taking four French classes and one communication studies class, and I regret it because next semester, my last semester, I won’t learn any French and only COMS courses. So balance everything out. Oh! Also, study abroad!”

The port of Cannes is one of the biggest attractions in France.

Q: “Like you said before, you studied abroad. Where? Did you go to France?”

A: “This past summer I studied abroad in Cannes, France, for about two months. Every day I had three hours of intensive French classes, but I loved it.”

Q: “Do you think about it a lot? Do you still talk about the people you met there?”

A: “I think about it every day. Like every day. The trip was too short. I want to go back. I still talk to those people. We have a group chat.”

Q: “Please describe your life in five to ten years. Do you see yourself living in France or living in a French speaking country? What will you be doing?”

A: “I’m not sure what I want to do, but I wouldn’t mind teaching English in a French-speaking country like Morocco, or being a travel blogger. I’m definitely open to moving to France, as well.”

Jana has me thinking I picked the wrong language to minor in! To hear how French has made an impact on her life has influenced me to pick somewhere I can practice Chinese and put my minor to good use when studying abroad. Jana obviously had such a wonderful time, and I hope I can experience the joy she felt while studying abroad.

edoohan