0

Internship Ideas: Ali at "ALSAC/St. Jude's"

Today’s Internship Ideas post profiles senior Communication Studies major Ali Wasserman and her internship at ALSAC/St. Jude’s Children’s Research Hospital.  Here we go…

Q: Where are you interning and what do they do?

Ali: “I am interning at ALSAC/St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.  ALSAC stands for the American Lebanese Syrian Associated Charities which has been the exclusive fundraising organization of St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.  St. Jude was started by Danny Thomas in 1957 with a mission to find cures for children with cancer and other fatal illnesses through research and treatment.  Since I work for the fundraising side (ALSAC) of the organization, our office focuses on event planning, marketing, and fundraising for the organization in Northern California.”

Q: How did you find your internship?

Ali: “I found my internship through a Craigslist posting.

Q: Why did you choose to intern there?

Ali: “I choose to intern at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital because I am interested in entering the nonprofit event/marketing field upon graduation.  I also knew that interning here at St. Jude, I will learn so much about this type of work.  The office is only about 5 people, which I knew would be a great learning environment and I will be able to get the hands on experience that I am looking for in event planning and marketing campaigns.”

Q: What do you do on a regular basis at your internship?

Ali: “I have been working on the Dream Home project.  The Dream Home is an entire house that is built and then raffled off at the end of construction.  Since we are a nonprofit organization the home that is built is entirely donated, everything from the land to the contractor’s time.  As of now, we are looking at the different areas where a potential Dream Home could be built and it has been my responsibility to research the demographics of Monterey Peninsula to see if building a dream home could raise the money needed for the organization.”

Q: What have you learned at your internship?

Ali: “I have learned about the different partnerships that organizations (Sorority/Fraternities) and St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital have created, universities involvement with the organization, history of the organization/mission, and the different events that are put on every year in our office.”

Q: What advice do you have for other students looking for an internship?

Ali: “My advice would be to look everywhere, ask friends/family members, and keep checking on-line sites.  There is a ton out there, but you just have to stay on top of it and send out resumes.  Make sure you find something that interests you.  Academic interns typically do not get paid, so find something that you know you will enjoy and make sure once you find one that you are consistently learning and asking questions!”

Senior Ali Wasserman

Great advice, Ali, and congratulations on the internship with a great organization (those Thanks and Giving commercials always make me cry!).  Do you have an internship that you enjoy?  Contact me at edoohan@usfca.edu to be profiled in an upcoming Internship Ideas!