0

Red Alert: We're on facebook!

I am happy to announce today that the Communication Studies Department has now become a triple threat!  No, the professors haven’t been perfecting their singing, dancing, and acting abilities (sorry for putting those images in your heads).  The big announcement is that we are now on facebook!  Here’s why:

Be a fan!

I know I am anything but unbiased, but the blog has been quite successful and has been up and running for four months now.  But, I do know that while there are many regular readers, very few of you likely read the blog on a daily basis.  So it means that you may miss out on important announcements.  So….

We started a twitter account!  As explained here on the blog, we use twitter to make announcements about blog postings and other departmental events, announcements, and reminders that might not make it up on the blog.  The twitter (I like calling it “the” twitter… shows that I am no pro yet) has been great and I am pleased that as of this moment we have 48 followers, including students, alums, USF employees, and some random people (although I want more… pass it on!).  But I realize that not everyone is on the twitter.  So…

We are now on facebook.  I don’t have any actual statistics on this, but I would guess that about 97% of our students and alums are on facebook.  So this is the third element and what now makes us a triple threat.  A blogging, tweeting, and facebooking triple threat.  Now, just like the twitter, our new facebook page is the official fan page of our department.  You just have to “like” us.  We don’t have to be “friends” or anything.  We will be posting links to the blog, departmental events, and other announcements.  You can comment on our fan page wall and keep updated about what our majors and alums are doing.  The idea behind each of these, blog, twitter, and facebook, is to build our department community and celebrate your accomplishments.  If you become our facebook fan, our events should go to your newsfeed, and you will never again miss a department event.  Never again will you wake up in the morning and realize, with great sadness, that you missed Graduate School Information Night because you didn’t check the blog, aren’t on twitter, and wasn’t paying attention in class when announcements were made.  Because you are on facebook and you are our fan.  

Here are the details: our official name is “Communication Studies Department, University of San Francisco.”  I thought I would keep it simple.  No rhyming or alliteration, but very clear.  Search for us and like us.  Because isn’t that what we all want?  People to like us?

We're a triple threat!